The Residential Hospice of Grey Bruce is a community-operated hospice. This means it is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors who oversee its function and create a Strategic Plan for the organization to implement. This local stewardship ensures that the Hospice is operated in a manner consistent with community expectations. They are accessible and accountable to you.
Board membership is designed to reflect and represent the interests of patients and families throughout our region. It is comprised of professional and geographic representation to ensure that both the operation of the Hospice and the connection to communities throughout Grey and Bruce is sustained. A range of backgrounds and expertise help keep the Board focused on advancing its strategic goals.The board Governance and Recruitment processes in place include a skill competencies assessment to ensure as broad an expertise range as possible within Grey Bruce.There are 3 physicians on the board,all of whom are palliative care specialists.
Presently,our Board is in the process of preparing a revised strategic plan from 2017 to 2020 now that we are in our permanent home.We expect this to be highlighted here in the near future!Implementation of the plan will be executed by our Executive Director.
Our Interim Executive Director is Alex Hector,a retired senior bank executive with considerable business experience.He presently resides in Sauble Beach and has committed to acting in this capacity until such time as our executive director recruitment has been completed on behalf of the community.
The current board members are listed below.
- Rob Cordell, Chair (Resident of Meaford, extensive business experience, CFP)
- Paul Rowcliffe, Vice Chair (Resident of Georgian Bluffs, public sector management)
- Lisa Milne, Treasurer (Owen Sound Resident, Former CEO, Westario Power, Walkerton)
- Mary Anne Bishop, Secretary (Resident of Georgian Bluffs, Extensive HR experience)
- Dr. Alexandra Hodgson (Resident of Owen Sound, Palliative Physician)
- Dr. Hilli Huff (Resident of Owen Sound, Palliative Physician, OSFHT)
- Dr. Susan Batten (Durham resident, Palliative physician, Hanover)
- Joan Tod (Owen Sound resident, former finance manager, Public Health )
- Kelly Graham (Owen Sound resident, Lawyer, Middleboro & Stevens)
- Dr. Hazel Lynn (Medical Officer of Health for the Grey Bruce Health Unit)
The focus of our Board will transition now from being “hands on” engaged in operation of the hospice towards a true governance model. The day-to-day function of the hospice will be the focus of our Executive Director, Manager of Resident Care and a team of skilled Registered Nurses, Personal Support Workers and Volunteers. As a Board, we will set the strategic direction for our future.
Because the Residential Hospice of Grey Bruce relies so much on the support of the community to be sustainable, we feel a heightened sense of accountability toward donors, patients and their families, and all residents of Grey and Bruce. As a part of this relationship, we are proud to provide our Strategic Plan as part of our commitment to transparency. We invite you to review the document and learn more about how your hospice will be moving forward in the future.